Visual fx artists sure work in after effects (and if you don’t, i’m sorry! I don’t think you really are a vfx artist!) If you’re a beginner, you’d be happy with the awesome effects &/or plug-ins AE comes with. But after a while, you’d feel the need of some (or let me say, ALL) of these:
1. Trapcode Particular – ‘Particle World’ is good enough. But Trapcode Particular is better. Can’t say much about this one, it’s like you use it, you know it. One of the best things about particular is using ‘sprites’ as particles. With the help of it, one can set up a custom particle!
2. SureTarget from VideoCopilot - I’m technically a ‘noob’ if you compare me to those guys. They’re freaking awesome. SureTarget is a plugin that allows you to set ae ‘layers’ in 3D space! It’s as cool as it sounds!
3. Optical Flares from VideoCopilot – Advanced lens flares. If you are like me, i’m pretty sure you’re bored of using the standard ‘lens flare’ effect. Time for some serious customization!
4. CameraTracker – A plugin which lets you track elements in 3D space! Sure give it a try if you are making a video which includes a bit of 3D stuff.
5. Element 3D from VideoCopilot – It’s yet to come, but its a revolution! Go check out http://www.videocopilot.net/blog/ you’ll find some info about this one there!
And yes, this post is short just for a reason – If it’s AfterFX, then go to VideoCopilot.